We all love silky hair, and makeup that will stay put even when we work up a sweat. The synthetic ingredient that’s responsible for those results is usually silicone. First introduced to beauty products in the 1950s, silicones are derived from a natural product called silica, but undergo extensive chemical processing before being added to our beauty products such as shampoos, conditioners & cosmetic products etc.
Silicones go by different names where dimethicone is one of the best-known and are modified into numerous different formulas in order to perform the specific role expected of them—waterproofing, retaining moisture, adhering colour pigments, protecting our hair and imparting smoothness, and making the application of skincare products feel silky—no tugging on the skin as it is spread on, and no oily, sticky feeling. They give our deodorants that velvety feel, allowing them to dry quickly, and they keep water-resistant sunscreens on our skin, even when we sweat or get wet.
What is Dimethicone?
Dimethicone is what the chemists like to call a silicon-based polymer—”polymer” meaning it’s a large molecule made up of several smaller units bonded together. Simply put, it’s a silicon oil, man-made in the laboratory and used in personal care products as an anti-foaming agent, skin protectant, and skin and hair conditioner.
Manufacturers like it because it makes products easily spreadable, so you get that feeling of the lotion or cream gliding over your skin, another way to describe is, it helps the product to spread as smooth as butter. Dimethicone also helps form a protective barrier on the skin, and can fill in the fine lines and wrinkles on the face, which is why it’s often used in makeup primers.
Is it safe?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved its use as a skin protectant ingredient in over-the-counter drug products. Furthermore, the Cosmetic Ingredient review (CIR) Expert Panel reviewed the data surrounding dimethicone, and assessed it as safe to use in personal care products. They determined that because of the large molecular weight of silicone based polymers such as dimethicone, it would be very unlikely for it to penetrate past the surface of the skin.
How Dimethicone affect your skin?
That artificial coating which caused by Dimethicone caused several issues:
- It traps everything under it, including bacteria, sebum, and impurities which could lead to increased breakouts and blackheads.
- The coating action actually prevents the skin from performing its normal activities for example sweating, temperature regulating, sloughing off dead skin cells, etc.
- Prolonged exposure to dimethicone can actually increase skin irritation, due to the coating property and because dimethicone is listed as a possible skin and eye irritant.
- Those with sensitive or reactive skin are at higher risk of an allergic reaction to dimethicone too.
These type of ingredients can actually exacerbate skin aging, here’s the reason:
- You’re inhibiting skin’s natural processes.
- You’re creating a dependency on the coating product, disrupting the skin’s own hydrating processes which in the end increases dryness, making fine lines and wrinkles more noticeable.
- The coating properties may increase breakouts, particularly if you’re susceptible to acne, which will lead to scars and dull looking skin.
- These ingredients have no benefit in boosting the health and vitality of the skin, thus letting aging take its toll.
What to do?
REMEMBER, double cleansing! This is very very important. Please do not expect any facial cleanser can do the job. Firstly you have to remove all make ups or sunscreen on your face using make up removal, preferably lotion which is liquid type. Then only wash your face with facial cleanser. This is why we called, double cleansing, put in mind too, do not overdo.
Let your skin rest, put on some calming & moisturizing mask. We find out a lot of our patients skip the step of applying toner before they apply the moisturizer on. If you want your skin to be healthy and radiant, never ever skip any step.
How our Skinartesse Laser can help you?
- improve congested, oily and sensitive skin.
- improve skin complexion
- brighten up the skin, you can see instantly after one session of the laser
- reduce the size of pores
- lighten scars which caused by acnes
- lighten dark circles, the darker shade around lips & even on lips
To enquire about Skinartesse Laser, you may contact the team here.